BGT steering rack alignment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: BGT steering rack alignment
From: Jon Mason Gougar Jr <gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 13:21:53 -0600 (CST)
   I just overhauled the front suspension on my 73 BGT and now I have to
put the steering rack back in. The thing is, when I first bought my BGT,
I had to replace the steering rack out in the street in front of my apartment
here at school because the old one was so shot I could hardly drive. At that
time I had not even heard of the Bentley manual, much less anything about
aligning the steering rack, so I just tossed out those funny looking shims and
bolted 'er in. According to the Moss catalog, this can result in death by
lack of steering. I would like some SOL opinions/advice about this, and if
there is a way around buyuing those cone shaped things to align the rack.
Thanks in advance.
  On another subject, I am replacing the entire exhaust from the engine
back, and I would like it to last awhile. In a snowmobile supply catalog, I
found a flexible exhaust joint for seven bucks. It's available in 1 3/4" and
2" diameters. So, I'm going to give it a try. I'm hoping it will take a little
stress off of the tailpipe sections when the engine does the weebies. We'll
see.