Re: Valley of the Jolly Green Giant

To: dan_boughton@rainbow.mentorg.com (Daniel Boughton)
Subject: Re: Valley of the Jolly Green Giant
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 14:44:14 -0600 (CST)
Daniel Batten writes >

>Are you sure that's not the valley of the big white giant?

Well, the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant may be white now, but it is in
Minnesota.  Around LeSeuer, to be precise.  The Green Giant company
started there many years ago, in the heart of fertile valley used for
growing vegetables.

> CA would be the valley of the big brown giant (except for a few weeks
> in spring).

Scott Fisher reminded me that Green Giant pretty much owned the Salinas
Valley in California.  But it started here.  Just like the LA Lakers were
a Minneapolis basketball team.  Minneapolis is the City of Lakes.  Not too
many lakes in LA, I bet.  'Course, they DO have an ocean nearby...

> Oregon's sorta green right now.
> Maybe the green giant lives here?

Well, the SONG is connected.  An Oregon band who made it big in Seattle
recorded "The Jolly Green Giant" on a lark whilst doing something they
considered more important in the studio.  It became their second national
hit.  Their first was a calypso number from the fifties, with a catchy
rhythm guitar chord progression and the words mumbled so people speculated
that it was obscene.  THAT one has since been covered many times and even
proposed on the floor of the Washington state legislature as the official
state song.

> It's real cold even though it's sunny.
> Only gonna be in the 50's today (brrr) :^).

Real cold?  Ha!  Hit -25F here yesterday and the weatherman says to watch
out because it is going to get REALLY cold on the weekend.  (I fully
expect to be topped by any of our central-Canadian members, and reminded
it is summer by our friends in Oz.)

Watch out, or I'll tell my -54F story again.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676 USA
h (612)224-3105  w (612)266-6244  phile@stpaul.gov
"This morning I shot six holes in my freezer.  I think I've got cabin fever."
- Jimmy Buffett