RE: TR-6 restoration

To: "strai001@maroon.tc.umn.edu"@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: RE: TR-6 restoration
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 11:08:53 -0600
Kevin Strait writes:

>Hi
>I'm new to this group and have been reading the messages for the past few
>weeks
>and have decided to take the plunge and write a few my self.

Hi, Kevin!

>First, some background, I am in the middle of the restoration of a LBC (70 TR-6
[...]
>What I would like some input on are the following:

>1) The car was originally BRG although the previous owner had repainted it
>orange.
>I am considering painting the car red (guards red; porsche) as green is not
>one
>of my most favorite colors in a car.  Given the fact that this car is never
>going to be a 100 pt show car anyway I dont really feel beholden to keep it
>original. What do you all think?

I say, paint it whatever color pleases you.

>2) I plan to put a main wiring harness in the car, anybody have experience
>with
>this?  Do they come with all the fittings for the inst. bulbs, connectors
>etc.
>What about a detailed wiring diagram?  Are TRF, Moss, British Victoria etc all
>the same quality or is one better.  Price is not as big a concern as that the
>harness is as close to original as possible (I don't want to spend 6 mo
>modifiing it to get it to fit).

There is a wiring diagram in the shop manuals. I've used them to basically
completely rewire a TR4 and I've used it a lot on the GT6. No problem. If
I'm worried about getting the highest quality and most original components,
I go to The Roadster Factory.

>3) how about some information of interiors and tops.  Carpet sets,
>dash and door
>pads etc. Is the an inexspensive supplier that has good quality?

I understand that someone named Kit in the Atlanta area makes very good
carpet sets very cheaply. I have the number stashed in a mail message
somewhere, but maybe someone else has it handier...Again, for panels and
the like, I vote for TRF.

>well thats about it Thanks for your help.

Larry