Re: Break-in

To: (British Cars) british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Break-in
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 08:21:41 -0500
Marcus writes:

> 1) For breaking in the new engine I figured not going above 35mph, and
> not loading the engine for ~500 miles would enough to break it in...

Bah- RPM, not MPH is what matters. Don't lug it, and don't maintain
constant RPM. For the first 50-100 miles keep it between say, 1000 and 3500
RPM, vary it, and increase the top limit gradually 4000... 4500,,, 5000,,,
5500 (more, if it's setup for it.) as the miles increase.

(we really could use a FAQ- all this stuff is in the archives on Triumph
somewhere...)

      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."