Crash pad materials

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Crash pad materials
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 9:50:13 -0700 (MST)
Greetings.

I'm trying to work out a way to make a new dashboard crash pad
surround for my Vitesse.  The original is based on a compound
curve of molded fibreboard.  Not the sort of thing one can do
oneself without jigs and steam.

I was thinking that a very suitable material would be surfboard foam.
It can be carved easily into the appropriate shape, especially if you
make it in sections then glue it together, and should be sturdy without
being hard as rock.

Has anyone thought of this before?  Tried it?  What do you lot make
your crash pads out of?  There's got to be a lot of this going around,
no-one seems to remanufacture crash pads.

Any suggestions appreciated.

- Dan Parslow
djp@alpha.sunquest.com