Re: Fire Extinguishers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fire Extinguishers
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311510.atl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 10:24:42 EST
In previous writings...
> > a thread on fire protection?
> > any sort of passive fire extinguishing device I could
> > hang from the rafters which would work even if I'm not around.
>
> Halon comes to mind.
> been looking for Halon fire extinguishers for my own garage for some time
> now with no luck.  I've cleaned up after fires which were put out by
> conventional chemical extinguishers, and I'd rather not go through that again.

Couple of thoughts.

1) Good 'ole water sprinklers on the rafters might be in the realm of
   do-it-yourself installations.  Not good at all for oil/gas fires, but
   might save things if the building itself were the fire problem.  Cleaning
   up the flood would be a pain, but it beats burning down!

2) For garage extinguishers, I'd advise getting one or more reasonable
   size CO2 extinguisher.  Halon's claim to fame is around electronics,
   where it doesn't have the chilling shock of CO2.  Not as much concern
   in a garage situation, and much less expensive to refill.  Having a
   dry powder type there as a backup/alternative wouldn't be a bad
   idea either.

3) I suspect that any automatic discharge of halon or CO2 are well beyond
   the budget of do-it-yourselfers.  The volume of a two car garage/shop is
   pretty large and would take a large gas supply.
   (slightly humorous aside -- many years ago at the installation of
   a halon system in the computer room where I worked, they gave the
   "how it works, how to shut it off, etc" presentation.  During the
   walkaround, the technician pointed to the valves at the top of
   the halon tanks, and referred to the "Jesus nuts".  Huh?  What was
   that?  Yep, he said, that's what we call them.  Everytime the
   system goes off, somebody is sure to say "Jeeeeeesus!".)

4) An alternate "passive fire extinguishing device I could hang from
   the rafters which would work even if I'm not around" system is to
   install heat/smoke sensors to feed into an alarm system.  The alarm
   system in our house includes these (but not in MY garage, hmmm) and
   will trigger a call to the alarm company who calls the fire department.
   It may take some investigation to figure out how to NOT react to
   the heat of a recently driven car or the fumes of a badly smoking
   lbc.

5) I too have had the pleasure (?) of cleaning up after a dry chemical
   extinguisher was put to work.  I was cleaning and then FOOLISHLY
   decided to light a Coleman stove in my kitchen.  Minor flame, quick
   burst from the extingusher, white powder EVERYWHERE.  Still powder
   is beter than charcoal!

Cheers,
Joe
flake@d311510.atl.hp.com