TR6 puzzle - continued

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 puzzle - continued
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 11:28:57 MST
Well,

  I tried setting the static timing on the '75 TR6 this weekend at
8-10degrees before TDC.  I did so, started the car and it ran great
for about 2 minutes.  It then ran rough again.  Arggg!  But I think I
may have discovered something that may make the difference.  One of
the advance springs (on the advance weights) is mearly along for the
ride.  Soooooo, I'm thinking that the timing is jumping around a bit.
It occurs to me that I could check jumpy timing with a timing light,
but I was out of time on sunday.

So could my rough idle come from weak/old/useless distributor springs?
It runs great at speed (read: full advance) so I'm thinking I've
discovered my problem.  Well it's a problem anyway...  I'll let you
all know what happens!

Cheers,

-Scotty