More on Skinned Knuckles

To: hoosier.cs.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier
Subject: More on Skinned Knuckles
From: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:35 EST
I've been a subscriber to Skinned Knuckles for quite a few
years.  It's a pretty skinny magazine, printed on cheap
newsprint, but as somebody else said, it's cheap.  The
best thing about it is long monthly articles by Matt
Joseph, who also writes for (I think) Cars and Parts.
Joseph runs a restoration shop in Cross Plains, Wisconsin
(I think) and takes a real perfectionist approach to
restoration topics.  He had a long study of various
brands of "magic rust converters" a few years ago, which
I thought about summarizing a while back when it was a
hot topic on this list.  He's got another one in progress
now.  He takes steel samples and doctors them up in
various ways, with rivets, screws, scratches, welds,
etc. and painted with the subject treatments.  Then they
are exposed outside and sprayed regularly with water.
His reviews and comments have been very interesting.  He
also isn't reluctant to say that some products are terrible
and worse than useless.

They also have a regular column by John Kuerzi (?) called
Foreign Affairs, about various foreign antiques.  At the
top of each column, the author has his picture at the
wheel of a Jag XK-120 (or 140).  Often about older or
obscure stuff, but generally interesting.  Their shop
tips issues are often useful.  Usually I can read through
a complete issue in a couple of hours.  I miss the
columns by the old guy who claimed to be a member (along
with all readers) of TOADs (The Olympian Automobile Drivers).

I think it's worth the money.

Jim Beckman     jeb@mtqua.att.com     1955 A-H 100