Tires

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:50:36 MST
I'm starting to get close to actually getting the Magnette on the
road.  I guess it isn't going to roll too well though on the circa
1964 tires its sitting on.  Only one doesn't hold air but...

So what to do?  The shop manual says 5.50-15.  The car currently has
5.60-15 on front and 5.90-15 on back (cool wide whites).  I know I can
get repro tires in the same sizes, but this is meant to be a club
driver car, not a concours example.  As I plan to rally it,  would
like to go with a modern radial.  Of much lesser importance, I would
also like to get a whitewall if possible as it seems to suit the
character of Maggie.

Someone in the local MGCC told me that a lot of the MGA drivers go
with a 165-70 x 15. That seems reasonable, and looks to be a +1 setup
with similar rolling diameter.  However, I don't see anything that
small at the local Sears either.  Where do you MGA and TR3 owners go
for tires.  Can someone recommend brands/models which come in these
sizes. How about sources?  Eurotire and Tire America tend toward 60
series stuff in their ads.

  Thanks,
    Jay