TR6 rear-end progress

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 rear-end progress
From: Ian Macky <imacky@us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:13:52 PST
Hi all...

It's been awhile since I reported in.  Here's what's happened so far:

I finally got my 1-piece exhaust apart (electric die grinder with cutoff
wheel, grinding stones, hack sawing, lots of horizontal mambo under the
car) so I could pull the diff to have it rebuilt.

The rebuild guy (Rearend Specialties in San Jose) couldn't get the inner
stub axels apart from the flanges, almost exploded his gear trying.  The
usual frozen solid tapers.  Had to buy two sets from a junkyard ($50 each
side).  He should be finished with the job today or tomorrow.

The infamous right front diff mount which I was going to address while I
had the diff out, lo!, had already broken badly and was welded up.  Not
the best of jobs, but solid and strong-looking.  It will do for now...

Replacing all the U-joints was pretty easy.  Some of the yokes had been
whacked and the old U-joint end-caps wouldn't come out since the hole was
out-of-round.  A Dremel and a grinding stone took some inner metal off to
re-round and it out they came.

Finishing the U-joints tonight, then in go the prop shaft and axles, then
the diff with new rubber mounts, then the exhaust NOT welded up this time,
and all should be fine.

All in all a fairly easy job.  No real surprises, just the usual: seized
tapers and broken mounts.  EVERYONE with a TR6 should address the two
notorious breakage points since they *really will break eventually*.

On a side note, I coined a new word today: "electrentricity"...  hmm...
it's supposed to be a cross between "eccentricity" and "electricity",
describing the Dark Lord...                 (hmm, perhaps not).

--ian