Suggestions needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Suggestions needed
From: donne@DBresearch-berlin.de (Dr.Jeff Donne)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 14:15 MET
Dear Friends,

   I am the proud owner of a '76 MGB that has been in a garage for the
last five years with a blown engine.  It is in perfect condition as it was
purchased in New Mexico and has not seen much in the way of harmful elements
with the exception of some intense sun.  To make a long story short, I've
not had the resources to begin working on it until now due to distractions
such as school and a divorce.  (Ok, ok, if you MUST know, I was given
the choice:  she said "either I go or the MGB goes" -- I still have the car!)
Anyhow, finally I can look forward to Spring, and the possibility of having
the wind blow through my hair (of which I've lost some since the last time
I drove the "B") while again enjoying being behind the wheel.  I believe
the problems are fairly major, as (I think) the oil pump failed, and perhaps
a piston cracked, and maybe even the block cracked.  So, I am looking for
recommendations in the following areas:

1.  I don't think I have the knowledge (patience) to rebuild the engine
    myself, so I would have to bring the car to a shop.  Should I try to
    find a new engine, or should I have the original engine rebuilt?  How
    much can I expect to pay?

2.  With regard to the engine rebuild, is there anything I should consider
    to improve the performance of the '76 B?

3.  Although I am presently living in Germany, my home and the car is in
    Pittsburgh, PA.  Does anyone know a reliable MG mechanic in the area?

4.  What sort of problems should I anticipate due to storing the car for
    five years, besides the possibility of having created a residence for
    several small rodents?  I'm sure I'll replace all the fluids, filters,
    etc, but should I also remove the gastank, and somehow clean it as well?
    What sort of problems should I anticipate with the brakes, clutch,
    hydraulics, etc?

Thanks in advance for the helpful comments.

Jeff D.
'76 MGB