Gas

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 12:53:45 CST
and not the sometimes comical variety either....

Hmmmmph, I'm nearing the end of my test tank of gas. I've completed just
over 100 miles on one tank (12-15mpg). Not Good. Admittadly(sp?) its been cold
some mornings/days and shes had to warm up for ~5 mins with the choke on
1/2. Is this enough to warrant such crappy gas milage??? Take this
lunchtime for instance. Its almost 50F outside (yippee!) so I tootled
of to campus town (5 miles away), and it looked like it ate a load of
gas to do this 10 miles (almost a 1/8 tank!).

There is a strong smell of gas in the car too. Does this sound like a leak
somewhere?? The gas tank has no visible drips and the smell isn't there
first thing in the morning. There IS a damp patch around where the filler
tube runs through the trunk into the tank....surely approx. 3.5 GALLONS
doesn't disappear through this?

Perhaps if the smell comes in after the car has run a bit its being wafted
into the car through the vents/various access holes that are uncovered.
Note also that I am still getting the lumpy misfiring. This occured today near
the end of the trip today in 3rd then 4th!! i.e. it doesn't seem to be a cold
realted thing (the motor was def. good and warm).

Any ideas anybody

Marcus
74 Midget