Re: rusty haze all 'round my car (MGA)

To: woodruff@engin.umich.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rusty haze all 'round my car (MGA)
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 17:17:55 -0800
In message <199402162020.PAA05650@rigel.engin.umich.edu> William Hartwell
Woodruff writes:

>       I am by no means a paint expert.  But I would think you
> could paint your car after treating it with a metal preping solution.
> You could get a gallon of OXYSol from Eastwood or something like it.
> Then just soak some rags in it and wipe the car down.  Also, I think
> some acid etching primers are meant to go over very slightly rusted
> surfaces.  After all, no matter how much time you wait in between
> sandblasting and painting, there will be some oxidation on the metal
> surface.  If this is just a haze of red that you can wipe off by
> rubbing with your fingers, then I think you have little to worry
> about.  The most important thing is to get a good bond between the
> metal surface and a moisture proof paint.  I don't believe you can
> ever "completely" remove all traces of rust from the surface.  The
> best you can hope for is to remove the loose brittle scaley stuff
> (like the red haze your car probably has) that stops the new paint
> from adhearing to the surface.
>
>       Isn't it funny have the smallest details can become huge
> problems (sometimes just in you mind!) when you are restoring a
> car?
>
> woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu

You are more trusting than I General Custer sir.  I don't put paint over any
rust colour.  The metal has to be shiney before I put paint on it.  If there is
a pit, I clean it out as best I can, put a rust converter in it, then clean it
out as best I can.  Acid prep goes on immediatly afterwards & a sealer
immediatly after that. I do not allow an unpainted surface to stay unpainted
overnight unless I am still working on it and planing to go over it again before
painting.  Rust! huge probelem! nasty stuff!

Why yes I am restoring an ex-rust bucket

TeriAnn

Just thinking of rust gives me the shivers.  I've seen what it can do to a car,
including some 3 & 4 year old restorations. Nasty stuff

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561