Re:

To: hlw@ihlpf.att.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 17:53:34 -0800
In message <9402162141.AA10917@triumph.cs.utah.edu>  writes:
> Subject: Value of a TR4
>
> Hello,
>
> I saw an immaculate Triumph TR4, with no rust and in perfect condition.
> The odometer had about 39000 miles and everything was there.  Its on
> a consigment sale.
>
> What is the car really worth?  I need to know where to start the
> negotiations.
>
> Anybody want to buy a 1959 VW Beetle Sedan.  Sure would help me get the
> TR4.
>
> Howard
>
> -------------------------
> Howard Wesley
> hlw@ihlpf.att.com

Thats awfully low milage.  It might be on its second time around, or it might be
like my Land Rover, a car with a new speedometer.  Look at the condition of the
floor mats & peddels.  They should be original and not show much wear.  look at
the carb linkage for wear.

Before you make an offer do the following:

1. Look at the body closely down the sides.  You are looking for where bondo
doesn't exactly blend into metal.  Look underneath for any rust.  A <40K car
should have a clean engine bay with no rusty colour from an overheating,
overflowing radiator.  The carb linkage should not have slop.  The holes at the
top end of the peddels that the pins go through to activate the master cylinders
should not show any wear.  Jiggle the SU throttle shafts. They should be solid
with no latteral play.  It should still have Lucas lamps and fuses.  If they
will let you, remove the rear bulkhead and look around the petrol tank.  Its an
excellent place to find rust.

2.  Run a compression test on the engine. It can get expensive if one or more
cylinders are low.

3.  Start the car and let it idle for a half hour or so.  The car should not
overheat.  You should be able to stare at the fluid with the cap off and tell
excetly when the thermostat opens.  When it is open, you should not see bubbles
in the fluid.  If you are not a master mechanic & one is in the area, ask them
to let you take it to the mechanic for an evaluation.  Also, stop it by a body
shop & pay them a couple of dollars to look it over in bright daylight.  A
trained body person can see repairs that no one else can.

4. Test drive the beastie.  It should not want to wonder on a straight level
road and there should be no steering wheel shimmy.  You should be able to take
your hands off the steering wheel, hit the brakes and stop in a straight line.

If it really is as represented and in perfect condition buy it if you can afford
it.  They are few & far between.

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561