Re: Saggy Spit

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Saggy Spit
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 07:45:44 PST
>I own a 75 Spitfire.  The rear suspension appears to be a bit out of
>wack.  Specifically, the rear wheel camber is excessive and reaching
>a level that excites comment (even when the car is unloaded).  Most

>that the most likely causes of my condition are the leaf spring, the
>shock absorbers or possibly the bushings.  The spring doesn't
>appear cracked and the car bounces on the suspension in a healthy
>way.  As far as I can tell there is no way to adjust the camber which
>appears to be a result of the opposing forces of the spring and
>shocks.  Is this a common problem and can anyone give me a some
>suggestions about what to try first.

Yes it is common, the leaf spring is probably pretty tired.  They tend to lose
their arch/tension and you end up with a saggy rear (or should I say bum
:-)) and excessive camber. I broke a leaf on my GT6 and installed a new spring.
After all the years I owned it, it finally sat level and the rear wheels had
very little camber.  You can either replace the spring or re-arch it.  The
latter may be less $$, a new one is ~$150.  While you're in there, replace the
shocks, u-joints and bushings.  TRF sells a rear suspension kit with all the
bushings.  Oh, and change the diff fluid too.

Mike G.