Re: 30's M.G.'s

To: (British Cars) british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 30's M.G.'s
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 13:33:49
TA Terry writes:

> In the late 30's M.G. made some very large touring cars.  4 seaters
> with 4 and 6 cyl engines. these were called the SA, VA, and WA models.
> Beautiful cars some with custom coachwork.  I have one,
> the SA drophead Salmons Tickford bodied touring car.

Oooh, Ahh. I've had the pleasure of seeing an SA or 2, certainly a very
choice saloon. What I'd really like to get an eye on, is a WA. I think they
are the biggest MG produced, with wonderful coachwork, and a bonnet that
looks about as long as my whole MG PA!

Speaking of coach-built MG's, there's a rare NB Airline coupe for sale
right now. NB's were produced in '35-36, mostly in 4 seat roadster form,
with just a few built with the Airline coachwork. Start with the
standard N type front & wings, and add a graceful rounded top, curving
gently down to the tail, complete with with a 3 pane sliding glass sunroof.
This has got to be one of the prettiest MG's ever, and it's powered by the
final version of the MMM 6 cylinder OHC engine. This peticular auto has a
2-tone, bright medium & dark green paint scheme. If I won the lottery, this
car would be on the short list...

   ________
  /     _  \    Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \   Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |  3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |  Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!