Re: Midget has a saggy ass! (additions)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget has a saggy ass! (additions)
From: "John F. Kolb" <"DLV1::RACERX"@YMV5.YMP.GOV>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 8:06:26 -0800 (PST)
Opps ! Sorry about that ! Excessive operator headspace.

Additions to Phil's rearend proceedure.

Replace any suspect rubber you encounter.  When I did this job, I replaced
the check straps and the rubber pads where the springs bolt the the axle,
but left the bump stops alone.  The shocks and links were still acceptable.
My check straps had stretched to the point that if I went over a bump fast
enough (not too rare an occurance) I could unload the rear end until the
axle struck the exhaust. This would briefly leave one rear wheel on the
ground and the other NOT.  Interesting handling, that.

If the U bolts are bent or damaged IN ANY WAY replace 'em.  I got some on
sale somewhere, Moss or VB or Motorhead.  In an attack of shipwrights
disease, I wire brushed, primered and painted everthing that came off the
car (the front spring mount plates, the shackles, and the axle/spring plates).

I had to resort to a heat to get the front springplates off the car and
a hacksaw and dremel to get the old springs separated from them.  I then
went out and found some Grade 5 bolts with the proper shoulder.  I bought
my springs on sale from JC Whitless, but they had 'made in England' markings
on them.  I believe I got them in a 'discontinued items' sale, but they
might have more.

While you're under there, check the diff for leaks and clean the breather.
My diff nose seal was leaking a little, but with great difficulty I resisted
further shipwright's symtoms (mostly due to the fact that Motorhead didn't
have any in stock and I wasn't going to next day air one) I left it for later.

Yes, I have gone back and fixed it since. And yes there was a lot of swearing.
Mostly under my breath, and at DOT for useing salt and the dreaded PO.

kolbj@ymv5.ymp.gov - Old British Cars, Old Maryland Trains, Old German Beer