CA Vanity Plates?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, fordnatics@freud.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: CA Vanity Plates?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 11:14:49 -0800
Sorry I couldn't limit this to California only.

A few days ago the license renewal notice for my Cobra arrived in the
mail.  Sheese, didn't I just re-up?  Anyway, I've been thinking about
getting vanity plates for a couple of years now and I thought this would
be a good time to do it.  But before I commit to this I have a couple of
questions.  I assume that all that is required is to fill out a form or
two at the DMV and pay some extra fees.  Is there anything else
involved?  For example, would these plates be considered new issue
requiring a smog certificate?  I haven't had the car smogged since '69
and even then it was a monumental pain in the ass [UK readers please
note the use of the "less offensive" anatomical term].

Is there any chance that a new value assessment would be required for
license fee purposes?  Right now as far as the California DMV is
concerned I own a 30 year old car which is assumed to have little or no
value.  This means I pay the minimum fee each year and I don't want to
make any waves in this regard.

Roland