Rust Converters

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rust Converters
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 94 03:49:03 CST
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Rust Converters) File(FEB19941.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 02-19-1994 .. 03:22:44
> "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Says:

>I once experimented with a rust neutralizer (Duro, I think it was) on very
>rusty patches on my son's ford.  I used the rust neutralizer on one side
>of the car, and sandblasted the scaly patches on the other.  I actually
>think rust neutralizer worked, where you could leave it undisturbed after
>application.  But I made the mistake of priming and sanding and painting
>as usual after the neutralizer "turned the rust to a black impervious
>coating." The trouble is the black coating sanded off the high spots,
>exposing rust, which came through the paint as if I had never bothered.
>The sandblasted side was fine.  At least, it lasted as long as the Ford.

This is my experiance with rust converters exactly. I have used them alot on
my TR-3 and have found that they work extremly well if left on. In other words
I remove all the rust that I can with a whire wheel, sandpaper, whathave you the
really coat with the rust neutralizer. After that "NO MORE SANDING!" I then put
on a good thick coat of primer and sand that. If you ever sand through the prime
you have to put on more neutralizer.
I have found the stuff so good that I wouldn't think of painting any bare metal
without it, you just have to make sure it stays on.
One other note:
The majority of the products I have tried are water soluable. This means you can
leave it alone for a while after treating before you paint. Many primers are als
pourus (SP?) too so even if you prime you MUST paint pretty quickly.
As I was slowly working on the TR I would finish one section (major rust repair,
dent removal etc. ) then just spray paint with cans to seal out the moisture.
Later I had a body shop sand off all that cheap paint and spray on the final coa
For the most part this worked out well except for a few places where the body sh
sanded though my primer and disturbed the rust convertor. In those places I have
some paint flaking and rust forming underneath the paint.
I guess I will soon have to sand down those problem areas and get another paint

One last note: I did find some spray on rust converter that was not water based.
It looked like clear spray paint. That stuff works wonders underneath and in are
that you don't mind just spraying over the rust and leaving it alone.
I just spray on a good coat of that stuff and forget it.

 ! Louis A. Poche'                 !  Chief Engineer                  !
 ! Internet: POCHE@music.loyno.edu !  Loyola University               !
 ! CompuServe:   73007,1521        !  Department of Communications    !
 ! Amateur Radio: KD5XE            !  6363 St. Charles Ave.           !
 ! Voice Phone: (504) 865-3636     !  Box 201                         !
 ! FAX:         (504) 865-2666     !  New Orleans, LA 70118           !