Re: Cash-for-junkers

To: toms@sharebase.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cash-for-junkers
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 19:15:01 EST
From: toms@sharebase.com (Tom Sabo)

|> I think it is a good idea.  Old cars of interest won't be turned
|> in for scrap: lbcs, corvettes, etc... because people like them...
|> On the other hand, old chevy novas & the like are likely to vanish.
|> Eventually, the old uninteresting cars will be gone, and only the
|> old interesting cars will be left... and the skies will be cleaner
|> and happier.  It sure beats levying a $500/year surcharge on old
|> cars.  I don't relish the thought of paying $1500/year more...
|> --toms.

Here's the problem as I see it, Tom.  I just bought a parts MGB for
$200.  This MGB runs, but is not registered at the current time,
however, I bet with a little work I could register it and get it
roadworthy enough to drive to the crushing site and collect my $500
for turning it in.  Currently this MGB is producing no pollution.  In
fact it will soon be reducing the pollution from my running MGB by
donating the pollution controls.  If this legislation existed, those
expensive controls would have been crushed a long time ago, not to
mention other parts that may prove valuable.

These car crushing programs do NOT reduce pollution, because
industries are going to use them to get "pollution credits" so that
they can legally pollute MORE.

I forsee several things happening if this legislation passes; first -
all cars that at least run will become worth $500 (I bet a
cottage industry crops up of finding old unregistered cars registering
them and getting them crushed), second - the availibility of used parts
will dry up for old cars, and third - industry will pollute more than they
would be allowed without this legislation negating any (arguable)
benefit of crushing the old cars to begin with.

If a car is only worth $500, there probably aren't many miles left in
it anyway so basing any sort of pollution reduction on a mileage of
10k-15k per year is silly.

Just my $.02

Bob