Re: Cash-for-junkers

To: toms@sharebase.com, sfisher@Megatest.COM, sfisher@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Cash-for-junkers
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 12:46:23 -0800
In message <9402231841.AA03813@sharebase.com> Tom Sabo writes:

> If the buy price is low, say under $200, low income families would not
> be as seriously affected if the price were $700... a good point from
> Ms. Wakeman was made there... On the other hand... Let's say that this
> poor family owns two $50 clunkers... and they turn around and sell them
> to the company for $200... then they have just made some money, haven't
> they?  And they can go out and buy two $201 cars now (derived from scott's
> magical formula)...

Tom,  I don't know about your neighborhood but clunkers with any reliability
left in them cost more than $200 or for that matter $500.  In the short run, the
poor probably will not be hurt from a voluntary crushing of older cars.  They
might even contribute their second clunker for enough cash to get johnnie's
cavities filled. But with the price of cars depending upon supply & demand, I
can see them getting rare enough that some people can not afford them.

The poor generally do not maintain them well because they can not afford too.
These cars are just stoping on their way to the crusher.

It seems most cars have a life span of 20 to 25 years in Salt free California.
I suspect that in another 5 or 6 years, the 70's cars will be largely history
without the cash for clunkers deal.  Why not let them die a 'natural' death and
have the polluters clean their act up too.  In 5 or 6 years 90%ish of the 70's
cars could be off the road AND the worst polluters could be cleaned up.

Think long term

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561