Re: info on pre Lotus Seven

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, frimo@daimi.aau.dk
Subject: Re: info on pre Lotus Seven
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 08:35:01 -0800
This is my second attempt to post this reply to Morten Friis' question
about pre Lotus Seven. Please disregard if you've seen it before.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, frimo@daimi.aau.dk

On Fri, 18 Feb 94 16:32:45 MET, Morten Friis skrev:

> My own guess is, that it's an Lotus mark 6, which I've
> heard were sold as kit cars, with various engines (Ford and MG).

> Does any of you outthere have some info of this car. How many build?,
> which engines?, and so on.

>From "The Story of Lotus" (1972) by Ian H. Smith:

MARK 6: The first production sports car, sold mainly in component form.
Multi-tubular chassis with independent front suspension by coil springs
and swing-axles. Live rear axle with coil springs. Aluminum body.
Wheelbase 87.5 in.; length 121.0 in. Variety of engines from 1,172cc
side-valve Ford 10 to 2 litre BMW. 1953-1955.

>From "The Legend of the Lotus Seven" (1981) by Dennis Ortenburger:

The Mark 6 remained in production for three years before making room
for the Mark 8, the first streamlined Lotus Automobile. When the last
chassis was delivered in late 1955, around 100 had been built (the exact
number is not known). Today the Lotus Six is a rare and sought-after model
that deserves collecting and restoring.

There's much more. Send me e-mail if you need detailed information.

I have a 1964 Lotus Seven, which I have been (re)storing for the last
15 years and I am familiar with the details of the Mark VI.

Med venlig hilsen,

- -- Flemming Larsen                flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu