re: MGB Batteries

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: MGB Batteries
From: hstevens@mgb.tiac.net (Henry Stevens)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 22:35:54 -0500
I'm going to add to the confusion about batteries, and then provide only
partial information; not because I like to abuse the list like this, but
I'm 3,000 miles from my MGB so am unable to provide the finer details. My
apologies.

There is at least one brand of single, 12-volt, battery which will fit
nicely in the cavities behind the seats in early MGBs. When my old HS17 (?)
twins gave up the ghost I began casting about for replacements. Dual
6-volts were horrendously expensive. (This was in Calgary, Alberta) A few
well-placed questions led to the discovery that there are 12 volts which
fit the bill and the space available.

The single 12-volt was less money, offered more cranking amps,was
maintenance-free and did not require any modification to the original
layout, other than doing away with the short lead between the two original
batteries. I ran it all last summer (that seems like so long ago as
Massachusetts gets another six inches of snow) with no difficulties.

Unfortunately, the brand of battery I purchased escapes me, but I could, if
all else fails, provide the name of the shop in Calgary where I bought
mine.

Happy hunting.

 |      |       |      hstevens@mgb.tiac.net
[|______|_______|]   henry_stevens@bmugbos.org
 | o  [####]  o |  '64 MGB roadster-Safety Fast
 {*}          {*}   LWB Land Rover-Best 4x4xFar