It doesn't FIT!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: It doesn't FIT!
From: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 08:24:44 EST
Sometimes it's the little things that drive you nuts on these cars.
Years ago in the the beginning of the (neverending) "clean up the parts"
phase,  I picked the best set of "demister" nozzles from the two Bugeyes
and slaved over them for who knows how long before producing the best
looking nozzles you ever saw.  I carefully wrapped them up in paper
towels (really!) and sealed them in a ziplock bag just waiting for the
moment to install them onto the car.

Last night was the night.  I gathered my newly found #6 stainless steel
screws, put a couple of nylon washers in to try to save the paint, and
put one on.  For those of you without Bugeyes, the nozzle is attached
underneath a slot in the "dash" (that part of the cowling which is behind
the windshield).

The nozzle and the slot weren't even close to each other.  I got the
calipers out and measured the distance from the screw hole to the slot on
both Bugeyes.  There was nearly 1/8" difference which is really
significant given that the slot is about 1/4" wide.

No chance to relocate the hole on the nozzle - not enough metal to spare.
 Grumble.  I spent the next hour rummaging through the "Rubbermaid heavy
duty stacker bins" labled "I'll never need to enter these bins again
because these are the parts I already have really nice examples of" to
find the nozzles off of the '61.  I finally found them and get to repeat
the cleaning process.....

I learned something last night though.

Pete Andrews                    1959 AH Sprite Mk1  AN5L/18575
andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591