Scrapping Programs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Scrapping Programs
From: Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 08:54:55 -0500
I suspect the scrapping programs aren't going to
go away.  But there is a group trying to influence
how they are run.  If you are concerned about
this issue contact:

COVA

Council of Vehicle Associations
10400 Roberts Road
Palos Hills, IL  60465

phone  708-598-7070
fax  708-598-4888

The Austin Healey Club of America is a member
of this group and working to prevent Healey
squishing along these lines (among others).

Some cars reported being crushed recently
by Chevron in enlightened California:

1949 Plymouth Coupe
1964 1/2 Mustang
1948 Dodge Sedan
240Z
1970 Opel GT

I happen to like all those cars.  A person
on the left coast reports calling up to offer
his 1965 Sunbeam Tiger to be crushed, this was
accepted (he didn't take it, its ok, relax).

This information has been excerpted from an article
by Mark Warden (a member of AHCA and COVA) published
in the lastest issue of Chatter.

Also in the lastest issue of Chatter is an article by
Rudi Markl bemoaning dishonest or simply bad
parts suppliers and repair shops.  He suggests
A COMPUTER DATABASE for keeping track of
good and rogue shops.  I don't have an email for this
guy, but could provide a phone number for anyone
interested in combining forces with (or more likely
helping out) the AHCA on this one.

There was also a really neat picture of the 1953
LeMans start showing two 100S Healeys and
two Nash-Healeys.  Yow, I've got to get a haircut
and get a real job so I can afford one of those
buggies before they're all scrapped in the name
of motherhood, apple pie, and allowing factories
to pollute a little more next year.

Mark M. Banaszak Holl
Brown University
401-863-2738