junkers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: junkers
From: Will Zehring <WZEHRIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 09:01:51 EST
Fellow fiends:

Not since the great TRF debate have I enjoyed reading the daily postings.
What the h**l, here is my own viewpoint:
Flame on!
-there are an awful lot of deathmobile/firebreathers on the roads in my
state (Michigan) partly because there is no effective inspection/anti-
pollution regimen in place, and partly because this is Michigan and we
build cars and we don't legislate against them (regardless of how dangerous
or polluting they may be).  I look forward to any scheme that will
remove these monsters from the highways and byways of my nation.
I guess one man's floor is another man's ceiling, but I won't shed a tear
when all the 75 Olds 88's have been wiped from the surface of the earth.
In my opinion, THOSE CARS ARE THE ENEMY, regardless of what alternator they
have in them.
-I don't have a great deal of faith in the motives of any organization whose
bottom line is dividends and capital gains (and who runs adds on TV during
the big game concerning their concern for the environment).  B******t.
Take heart tho, now that NAFTA is law they will all move south of the border
and pollute down there free as the breeze.
-This doesn't mean I have any faith in our lawmakers coming up with a
ballanced package IN THE ABSENCE OF STRENUOUS LOBBYING BY THE BODY OF
PEOPLE WHO SPEND AND MAKE MONEY IN THE "OLD CAR HOBBY."  Please: if
anyone out there is aware of car hobby orgainizations organizing to
follow this and protect our hobby, please post  a contact name/telephone
number!
-If there are *that* many alternators for the chevy, buick, cadillac, etc.
then doesn't intro to economics 101 say that they will likely never get very
rare nor very expensive (even if I never have to see another rusted out
and dangerous Chevy Nova?)
-The emissions test in Detroit is such a joke that my M***a passed, showing
zero emmisions: no CO, no hydrocarbons.  I checked in the trunk for the
600 lbs of batteries.  I s**t thee not.  On the other hand, there are
75 Olds 88's with their rear bumper being held on by bungie cords.
At times like this, cash for junkers solves one of my problems: sharing the
road with a *serious* threat to my and my familly's personal safety.
Four months ago my wife was almost killed by an errant shard of metal
shattering the windsheild, during her morning commute on the 8-lane metro
plex super highway.  That is rather more important than the price of parts.
-Can't we organize and convince the law writters that there is a difference
between the rusted out lethal polluting 75 Olds 88's of the world and the
never to run again parts car and the cherry TR3A restoration project?  It
can't be *that* hard.  We are a small small minority and will easily get
out voted on election day.  My neighbors all love to come over and gawk at
the MG and the Jag, but none of them are willing to pay a part of my
expenses.  There are more of them then there are of us.  We may well have
to pay a sur-charge at registration time.  So should the pleasure boat users,
and the snowmobiler's and such.  Pleasure consumption of fossil fuels may
well be taxed before too long.  Isn't outdoor bar-b-q illegal in southern
california?
-lastly, did I miss something somewhere: where in any of this debate was
there any 'manditory' aspect to turning in old cars?  All programs I know
of are strictly voluntary.

Flame off!
Will "back underneath his rock" Zehring