Prestige...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Prestige...
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.NCR.COM
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 09:53:00 EST
Subject: "Prestige conv. tops"

> Looking through Hemmings for conv top covers and carpet sets. Found a company
> called "Prestige conv. tops and carpets". Couldn't find them in the
> suppliers list. Offer a top boot at $75 and carpet at $100 (its the top
> boot which sounds like a bargain). The address is british, but they give a
> toll free 1-800 # (i.e. U.S.) at Eastern times. Anybody any experience with
> these guys???

IF this is the same "Prestige Conv. Tops & Carpets" I dealt with a couple of
years ago - STAY FAR AWAY FROM THEM.

About 3 years ago I saw an advert for "full carpets sets for Reliant Scimitar -
all years". Well naturally I was delighted, because this was the first thime
I had seen a carpet set offered for the Scimitar.

As a reference the Scimitar has 27 pieces of very high quality carpet, it
is very deep-pile and lots of little "hairs" per square inch.

I ordered a set from "Prestige...", which duly arrived (after calling them
twice to find out what the delay was). When the box arrived, I did a quick
inventory and saw what I thought was the complete carpet set. Time
went by, and last year I finally got round to installing the carpets in
the Scimitar. I removed all the old carpets, laid them out on my front lawn,
and then compared them with the carpet set from "Prestige...". Needless to
say I was amazed how different the two carpets were.

The quality of the new carpets was atrocious (even though I bought their
"executive-luxary pile"). Most of the carpets pieces were badly cut, ie
they did not match the old carpets, and on top of that there were 5 pieces
of carpet missing (including the piece in the rear hatch - which is the
biggest)

To cut a long story short, I eventually bought 7 yards of very hight quality
carpet, cut out patterns, using the old pieces as templates and did the job
myself. BTW buying the carpet and cutting it myself turned out to a lot
cheaper than ordering the carpets.

The funny part of this is that I took a sample of the carpet from "Prestige..."
to a local car uphoslster and when he saw it he fell ovr laughing. Why ?
the carpet was in fact standard house-hold carpetting !!!!

As I said I don't know if this is the SAME "Prestige...", BUT I seem to
remember that they were based in Birkenhead/Merseyside which is basically
in the Liverpool area of the UK.

Gerry