California Black Plates

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: California Black Plates
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 08:00:48 MST
> > The last time I checked DMV was no longer issuing the yellow on
> > blue plates. The only plates available were the white reflector

> Yellow on blue is what I have now.  There're ugly, especially on
> a (mostly) bare aluminum car.
Roland,

  A few years ago, California had a program where you could
re-register a set of old style plates.  I remember them allowing
pre-64 plates being registered on classics.  At the same time, a
friend went and got several plates from a junkyard and thren went to
the DMV and worked a deal on having a clear title on one of the sets.
They re-issued the black and yellow plates to him.

  I would check with the DMV. I believe there was a front end charge,
but I don't think it was any higher than for vanity plates, and I
personally think that new vanity plates will scream "kit car".

  Jay