RE: batteries the easy way

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: batteries the easy way
From: "John F. Kolb" <"DLV1::RACERX"@YMV5.YMP.GOV>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 8:51:27 -0800 (PST)
Fellow SOLs

I am a member of the MG Car Club (MGCC) here in NOVA (Northern Virginia).
My latest newsletter (The Spark) includes the following anouncement etc.
about MG'94.  Sorry, I don't have more information about British Car Day
that follows or the Summit Point event that precedes it, but I could find
out on demand.

In any typing job of this length, I have invariably made mistakes, so my
apologies come here, up front.  I have done some minor editing to accomodate
the limitations of ASCII and terminal widths/fonts.   If you email me, please
use the address in the footer.

---------------- BEGIN INCLUDED MESSAGE ---------------------------------------

MG'94 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WENDSDAY -  June 22

     Welcome to Washington D.C.

THURSDAY -  June 23

9AM-5PM     Safety Fast Day (Driving School) at Summit Point Raceway.
            [PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED]

12PM-10PM   Registration opens for all events.
            Message center opens for all MG'94 participants.
            Registrants are welcome to visit MGCC and NAMGBR Hospitality
            Suite and Corporate Hospitality Suites.

6PM-11PM    Washington D.C. Welcome - (with Special Guest Speakers) - meet
            and greet your MG friends. Hosted by MGCC, Washington DC Centre

FRIDAY - June 24

8AM-9PM     Registration opens for all events.
            Message center at registration opens.
            Car wash opens.

9AM-5PM     Tech Sessions and Demonstrations

11AM-5PM    Tours to White Post Restorations.
            Coach Tour of the Nation's Capital [PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED]

NOON-11PM   Hospitality Suites open.

5PM-7PM     British Barbecue at the Marriott [PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED]

8PM-11PM    British Olde Tyme Music Hall - Traditional British Vaudville Show
            Hospitality Hour - Meet your friends in Southern splendor.

SATURDAY - June 25

7AM-9AM     Buffet breakfast at the Marriott - Pay as you go

8AM-Noon    Navigator's Discovery Tour at Potomac Mills Outlet Mall
            Car wash opens.

10AM-3PM    NAMGBR/MGCC Car Show

3PM-5PM     Rolling Tech Session
            Navigator's/Novice Tech Session - All Welcome
            Afternoon Tea - All Welcome

6PM-7PM     Hospitality before the Banquet

7PM-????    Banquet [PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED]

SUNDAY - June 26

8:30AM      Continental Breakfast/Checkout/Departures
            Guinness Record Book Caravan to British Car Day
            (for additional information call {703}978-7790 or {301}428-0264

THINGS YOU'LL WANT TO KNOW

OLD NUMBER ONE -  We will have the very first MG manufactured at MG'94. Old
Number One started the mania in 1925. Its long history is well known and you
will have the chance to get a closer look at this world renowned MG.

SPECIAL GUEST - Mr. Geoff Allen will be our special guest for the weekend.
Geoff worked at the Abingdon factory for over 26 years and has lots of MG
stories (technical and general) to share with us all.  Join us in welcoming
Geoff to MG'94.

SAFETY FAST DAY AT SUMMIT POINT - Read our flyer to learn more about this once
in a lifetime opportunity to take your MG onto an SCCA racetrack for a day of
driving instruction.

TOUR OF VIRGINIA COUNTRYSIDE RALLYE - a self-guided rallye.  Join us for a two
hour trip through the Virgina countryside where the roads are all made for
MGs.  Rallye instructions will be available throughout the convention but must
be returned by 3PM Saturday for award consideration.  Rallye scoring will be
based on questions about the sights along the route.

TECH SESSIONS AND DEMONSTRATIONS - Join us for no less than six tech sessions
during the weekend.  These will include:

- Engine Teardown - Conducted by Tom Sykes, owner of Modern Machine, Alexandria
Virgina.  As the engine is disassembled, individual components will be examined
and discussed.  There will be ample opportunity for questions and answers.

- Carburetor Discussion - Conducted by Dale Moore, owner of Moore MGs,
Springfield, Virginia.  Dale will compare and contrast various MG carburetors
and provide attendees with hints about the SU carburetor.

- Bodywork Session - Conducted by Pete Peterson, owner of Robinson Precision
Autobody, Manassas, Virginia.  Pete will display a work ing progress MG,
mounted on a rotisserie where the car can be rotated 360 degrees.  There will
be a discussion of rust problems and a description of proper repair techniques.

- Overdrives - Conducted by John Tokar, owner of Vintage Restorations.  We will
focus on the differences among various MG overdrives and provide tips on
transmission conversions.

- Novice Tech Session - Conducted by Dave Schillerstrom, Motorhead, Arlington,
Virginia.  Learn everthing you wanted to know about MG do's and don'ts with
special emphasis on basic maintenance.

- Rolling Tech Session - Conducted by John Twist, University Motors, Grand
Rapids, Michigan.  This ever popular event calls upon John's years of MG
experience as attendees line up their "problem" cars for a quick and author-
itative diagnosis.

TOUR OF WHITE POST RESTORATIONS - We are honored to have Mr. Billy Thompson,
owner of White Post Restorations, as a participant in MG'94.  Billy will be
with us on Thursday night for a great question and answer session as well as
inviting use to White Post for tours of the world renown restoration shop on
Friday.

BRITISH OLDE TYME MUSIC HALL - This traditional British Vaudeville show will
be presented by the British Embassy Players (these guys and gals really do
work at the British Embassy) and will be an evening's entertainment not to be
missed.

TRADITIONAL BRITISH BARBECUE - Join us for "Bangers and Mash", barbecued
chicken and other traditional foods on Friday night on the grounds of the
Marriott.

MOTOR COACH TOUR OF WASHINGTON D.C. - Join us for a tour of the historic points
of interest within our Nation's Capital.  See the Lincoln and Jefferson
Memorials, the Washington Monument, the Capital, the White House and lots more.

POTOMAC MILLS OUTLET MALL - The largest tourist attraction in the State of
Virginia surpassing Colonial Williamsburg and even Busch Gardens.  See and shop
the outlets at their finest - Macy's, Ikea, Woodward and Lothrop, Eddie Bauer,
Nordstrom, plus over a hundred more.  Make sure your MG has a luggage rack.

GUINNESS RECORD BOOK CARAVAN - Be a part of a Guinness World Record for a
Single Marque Caravan - the previous record of 125 Rolls Royce's will be an
easy target for our MGs on the way to British Car Day.

APPLICATION FORM - YES I/WE WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF THE BIGGEST MG EVENT EVER
                   MG'94 CRUISIN' THE CAPITAL (open to all MG's)

Name    _______________________________________________________________________
Address _______________________________________________________________________
City    _______________________________ State ______________ Zip ______________
Telephone ______________________________________________ (Home ? __ Work ? __ )

Names of Persons attending
        ________________________________   ____________________________________
        ________________________________   ____________________________________
        ________________________________   ____________________________________

Please provide information about the MG(s) that you plan to bring to MG'94
(Judging Classes with be determined based upon pre-registrations)
Year: _________   Model: ___________   Type: __________   Colour: ____________
Year: _________   Model: ___________   Type: __________   Colour: ____________

REGISTRATION COSTS

MG'94 Registration (Car with Driver and one Navigator) - Includes
Dash Plaque, Goodie Bag, Welcome Party, Hospitality Suite, White
Post Restorations Tour, 6 Tech Sessions, Car Show, Olde Tyme
British Music Hall, Rallye, and Sunday Continental Breakfast,
Model/Photo Contest, Guinness Record Run, Door Prizes and Souvenir
Program
* Preregistration
  (Postmarked before April 12 - Cecil Kimber's Birthday)         $ 35.00 _____
* After April 12
  (Includes Registration at Event)                               $ 45.00 _____
* Each additional Attendee
  ()                                            _______    x     $  5.00 _____
* Each additional Car entry
  ()                                            _______    x     $ 15.00 _____

Car Show Only (Limited to Saturday Daytime Events)               $ 15.00 _____

Concours Judging Registration
  (MGB and Post 1960 Midget classes only)                        $ 15.00 _____

Friday Night British Barbecue at the Marriott (per person)
  (You must be pre-registered)                  _______    x     $ 12.00 _____

Saturday Afternoon Tea Time (per person)
  (You must be pre-registered)                  _______    x     $  5.00 _____

Saturday Night Awards Banquet (per person)
  (You must be pre-registered)                  _______    x     $ 25.00 _____
  Chicken Wellington ___    Filet Mignon ___

Potomac Mills Shopping Tour (Largest Factory Outlet Mall on the East Coast)
  (limited seating)                             _______    x     $  7.50 _____

Motor Coach Sightseeing Tour of Washington DC
  (limited seating)                             _______    x     $  7.50 _____

Track Day at Summit Point Raceway
  (see enclosed flyer for details)              _______    x     $110.00 _____

REGISTRATION SUB-TOTAL                                                   _____

REGALIA
Limited Edition T-Shirt (100% cotton)
  (S_____ M_____ L_____ XL _____ XXL _____)     ______     x     $ 14.00 _____
Ceramic Mug                                     ______     x     $  8.00 _____
Limited Edition Cloisonne Lapel Pin/Tie Tac     _____      x     $  8.00 _____

REGALIA SUB-TOTAL                                                        _____

GRAND TOTAL                                                              _____

I am interested in participating in the following MG'94 events
___ Car Rallye ___ Photo contest ___ Model contest ___ Guiness Record Run
___ Original British Car Day (Sunday - SEPARATE REGISTRATION REQUIRED)

Check Enclosed _______ (make checks payable to MG'94)
Charge My MASTERCHARGE/VISA Number ______________________________ Exp ________
Name as it appears on card (print) ___________________________________________

Signature (required)               ___________________________________________

Disclaimer: Registrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless The MG Car Club,
Washington DC Centre, The North American MGB Register, their officers and
members from any liability, loss cost, damage or expense, including attourney's
fees that arise out of the performance, use or operation of a registrant's
vehicle during the course of this event.

Proceeds from MG'94 will be donated to the Children's National Medical Center

Send Completed Forms to MG'94, P.O. Box 6777, Arlington, Virginia 22206

JFK - KolbJ@ymv5.ymp.gov - "It is better to go into a corner slow and come
out fast, than to go in fast and come out dead"  Sterling Moss