Re: Bugeye door check strap

To: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Subject: Re: Bugeye door check strap
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 12:18:56 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 21 Feb 1994, Andrews Peter F wrote:

> Oops.  One more burning trivia question for Bugeye owners.  I have a set
> of new door check straps but the hardware on both cars probably
> disappeared decades ago.  VB sells both an inner and an outer bracket but
> shows only the outer for use on the MK1 Sprite, both for the later ones.
> Various other catalogs show it either way.
>
> Any idea whether both brackets are "correct"?   (If the new BL Bugeye
> Workshop manual could answer this question, I would buy it today....)

I believe there are two brackets, an inner and an outer.  VB say they sell
both, but let me know if you manage to get two from them.  I couldn't get
the outers or the screws from them, although I seem to recall they did let
me pay for them.  I don't blame you for wondering; their catalog has two
illustrations on the same page, one of which shows only the outer bracket,
and the other of which shows the inner and outer brackets.

I think the inner bracket is original, and even if it were not, you'd want
one.  The inner bracket is about 16 ga. steel.  It goes between the strap
material and the side panel.  It curves around the weather seal and keeps
the strap from pulling the seal loose.  It also helps prevent the strap
from bending the flange on which the weather seal attaches.  The outer
bracket is a chromed sheet metal cover with two holes.  Two chrome pozi
drive 10-32 oval head machine screws go through the outer cover, the
strap, the inner bracket, the pressed board side panel, and into captive
nuts.

If you can find new outer brackets and new proper plated screws from VB or
anyone else, I would appreciate knowing the source.  I am using old outer
brackets painted silver.

Ray Gibbons