more Vitesse info...

To: djp@alpha.sunquest.com
Subject: more Vitesse info...
From: c340808@is6.mdc.com (Sharon Oblinger)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 11:45:46 PST
I am writing on behalf of my husband Kurt who compiled some more
data on our Vitesse (Sports Six in U.S.):
Our car is a '62 registered (first sold) in '64. The commission
no. is HB7893 LCV. We know of three other besides yours. Our friend
Steve Hedke has one in Burbank and he takes it to the Triumph Shows
(local and national). The car is maroon (dark red?) with a white
flash. His commission no. is HB8666 LCV. There's a white one in the
Bay area owned by a Dale Byers, and one in Iowa(!?)But I don't have
the fellows name. I think there are at least 2 more floating around
L.A.
  About the 1600 engine. The prototype car had a 2 litre from the
Standard Vanguard and was used by the Triumph director for daily
transport. He lived in a town called Kenilworth and car became know
as the "Kenilworth Rocket". The performance of the car was formidable
enough that Triumph decided to make a 1600cc version for production.
The problem with the 1600cc engine is that it was unique to the one
model. From what I've learned, spares for the 1600 are almost non-
existent. I've heard that the last piston sets are going for about
$1000 and a friend in the British parts business could locate only
*one* gasket set in the U.S. If your engine, DJP, is in good shape
then it could last you sometime. There is a Vitesse 6 in the U.K.
with 200,000 mi. on it and still going. As to the 2 litre upgrade, it
is very straightforward. The block castings are identical. My friend
Steve Hedke has done it and knows the pitffalls (very few!) The
going rate for an early GT6 drivetrain (engine, trans, and diff) is
$500-$600 and the parts are cheap and available.
  I was real interested in your info about sourcing the O.D. gearbox
from J.Kipping. The price was phenomenal. I will definitely look into
this.
------so sayeth the hubby

(The concerns expressed above are not necessarily those
 of the management)

        -----
       /     \_
Sharon Oblinger