Mufflers and Air Compressors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Mufflers and Air Compressors
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Mon, 2 May 94 11:31:09 EDT
I still haven't replaced the muffler on my '74 MGB (currently it has a
Cherry Bomb Glasspak that doesn't do much).  It seems thtat the B
mufflers are kind of expensive ($40 for the muffler and $40 for the
collector box).  It seems like you can get mufflers for many four
cylinder cars for about $20-25 at any generic auto parts store.  Has
anyone tried the cheap way out of finding one that fits?
Would you say it was successful?  Any reason I shouldn't try this?

Also, I am looking into buying an air compressor with an eye towards
painting my car.  I am limited by the fact that I live in a rented
townhouse and the garage is only wired for 110 V.  Many of the larger
comressors require 220V.  Walmart has a 3.5hp 20 gal Cambell Hausfield
compressor for $250 which flows 8.1 cfm @ 40 psi & 6.1 cfm @ 90 psi.
Is this enough for painting and basic tools such as an impact wrench, air
ratchet, etc.?  What about sandblasting?  Sears has a 4 hp w/25 gal
tank for $300 that also runs on 110V.  Are these good deals?

Thanks,

Bob