Re: TR6- speedometer flutter and steering question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6- speedometer flutter and steering question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 02 May 1994 15:58:08 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I had the old speedo problem last year. You have one or both of the following:

1. Cable is coming apart.
2. Crap in the speedo unit.

I had both. I replaced the cable (it broke on the way home from the first event
of the year last year). About two weeks after fixing the cable, I was driving
down MA Rt. 128 when all of a sudden my speed increased to 140 MPH indicated.
A quick radio check with my friend that I was following indicated that we were
in fact only doing 55 MPH. I was fearing the worst.

A week or so later, I pulled the guage and spent an hour or so fixing it up. The
TR6 speedo is rather simple. There is a little impeller that spins due to cable
movement. The impeller "blows" on the back-side of the indicator needle and
the needle deflects as a function of how fast the cable is spinning. At any
rate, the problem with mine was that a big glob of greyish grease had worked
up through the cable sheath, and it made the impeller and needle parts sort
of stick together. I carefully cleaned the parts with some isopropyl alcohol and
re-assembled.

Shipwright's Warning: Beware when cleaning gauges! If you clean the glass on any
of your gauges, you will note that you can now read the clean gauge much easier
than the unclean ones. You will be tempted to take out all of the guages
for cleaning. Do not do this! You may discover other shipwright related tasks
behind the dash, and then you will never get it all back together again without
doing a complete frame-up restoration!

regards,
Bob "my speedo is cleaner than my tacho" Lang

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |