Re: MGB running on - HELP

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB running on - HELP
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@postoffice3.mail.cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 10:24:46
 > ~ Seems like the ol' B is not quite right after the tune-up
 > ~ The timing has been set to 10 degrees
 > ~ When the engine is warm (ie.
 > operating temperature) and it is turned off it runs-on.

> All together now: "They all do that. :-)"
> Seriously: this is a known, um, "behavior" of B Series engines, at
> least those made before 1972.

While common, it does not *have* to happen. If it didn't do it before the
tune up, I'd suspect a leaner mix, or more advanced timing than before.

Marrietta's '65 18GB 8.8:1 engine, (now in Elmo), used to do this before I
did a rebuild and de-coked the head. Built-up carbon deposits get hot spots,
which make your engine more prone to run-on. De-coking may help at some
point. In the meantime, make sure your mis isn't lean, timing is not too
advanced, and, most of all, learn to shut it off so as to kill the run-on.
-Disengage the clutch, and put it in 1st gear
-Apply the brakes.
-Slowly engage the clutch while you shut of the key.

The purpose of this is to use the clutch as a brake to stop the engine as you
shut it off. This is much better for it than letting it pound along on it's
own.

And, Hiran's car is a MKI (65?). It now has, as far as I know, the first
trans-Pacific SOL parts transplant. Marietta's old heater system made it's
way down under a few months ago to keep Hiran a tad warmer during his winter
driving. My first MG lives on, through out the world!

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!