Acids/ Compressors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Acids/ Compressors
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 13:08:00 -0400
I can add only one thing to the current phos. acid debate. I used it on a
lightly rusted wire wheel and that wheel has since lost seven spokes. The
fellow who rebuilt it asked if I had used Phos. acid on it, and when I
said yes he handed the wheel back to me saying "Well, it will be cheaper
to replace it now". TRuth or sales. I don't know, but it SEEMED to make
the spokes very brittle.

As for compressors I have a 110 garage with a Campbell Hausfield (sp)
unit at 2.5 hp. It's a great little beastly and I've painted three cars
with it. I have an in-line moisture trap right before the gun and a
pressure gauge beside it, to see what the pressure is after x ft. of hose.

However, I will say that the SEARS stuff is really super and if I was
doing it all over I would follow the rule of "Buy the biggest unit can
can (almost) afford. I can't run a sander and the blaster is really wimpy!
Live and learn. Go 4 HP if you can

Chris Ball
triumph@io.org