Re: Metal treatments

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu (W. Ray Gibbons)
Subject: Re: Metal treatments
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 13:18:01 PDT

> This is an interesting issue.  I don't know if it is still true, but
> solutions like Metalprep used to recommend a final wash with water after
> the metalprep application.  This always left the metal discolored.  This
> might have been a rust-inhibiting phosphate treatment, as advertised, but
> it looked a lot like rust to me.  When a surface is freshly sandblasted, I
> prime it as soon as possible--within minutes if possible.  I do not treat
> it with anything, and I most especially do not use anything that
> recommends a final water wash.
>
> I could be wrong, though.  I remember I was, once, back in 1963.

Yes, this is rather annoying, I agree.  But I've done the Metalprep
treatment/water rinse to pieces and left them for months with this
"rust" looking finish on them and didn't noticeable any increase in the
deposit.  I certainly wouldn't paint over something left that long
without re-treatment but it does seem to provide rust protection for
unpainted pieces that are going to be left for a while.  My guess is
that iron oxide isn't the only reddish-orange compound of iron.  It's
just a pity that it looks so damn much like rust.  I've notice that the
"organic" rust removers I've tried leave a similar coating

In stark contrast, do the same thing with HCl (muriatic acid).  You can
almost see the rust forming when you're done.  Within a few days the
piece will be covered with thick crusty deposit of rust.

Roland