Re: Metal treatments

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Metal treatments
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 15:43:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 4 May 1994, Roland Dudley wrote:

> I'm also of the opinion that the only way to completely remove all
> traces of rust from steel is by chemical means.  I would even treat a
> sandblasted surface with Metalprep before painting it.  The only
> exception would be where hydrogen embrittlement might result.
>
> Roland

This is an interesting issue.  I don't know if it is still true, but
solutions like Metalprep used to recommend a final wash with water after
the metalprep application.  This always left the metal discolored.  This
might have been a rust-inhibiting phosphate treatment, as advertised, but
it looked a lot like rust to me.  When a surface is freshly sandblasted, I
prime it as soon as possible--within minutes if possible.  I do not treat
it with anything, and I most especially do not use anything that
recommends a final water wash.

I could be wrong, though.  I remember I was, once, back in 1963.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910