Morris Minor Engine

To: PSI%MDA.2::HOBBES::GALAXY::MDAVCR::british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Morris Minor Engine
From: "A1::AMCLE"@mda.ca
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 05:04:21 PDT
From:   NAME: Alex McLellan
        FUNC: MDA/CAATS
        TEL: (604) 231-3054                   <AMCLE AT A1 AT CATM01>
To:
"british-cars@autox.team.net"@mdavcr@galaxy@hobbes@psi%mda.2@mrgate@catm01
CC:     "reilly@admail.fnal.gov"@mdavcr@galaxy@hobbes@psi%mda.2@mrgate@catm01

"Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov> wrote:
:Subject: Re> Morris Minors

: One
:time I had to pull the head and I measured the bore and stroke and calculated
:the displacement at 912cc's, give or take. The MG dealer said "912? Ain't no
:such animal, should be 948cc." and he either could not or would not order parts

You were right, he was wrong.  Morris Minor MM (and, I think, some series
II style bodies with raised headlamps) had the pre-war Morris 8 sidevalve
engine. Workshop manual gives displacement of 918cc. Next engine was Austin
803cc A-series (that's why BMC was formed!) in Series II (still with split
winscreen). Then came the 948cc Minor 1000 in about 1956, and finally the
1098cc Minor 1000. (There was a Minor 1000000 somewhere in there too.) And,
for the mini enthusiasts, in the UK, the mini was originally called the
Morris Mini-Minor (and, rebadged, the Austin 7), with later luxury variants
called the Rily Elf and Wolseley Hornet.

Parts for the 918cc engine (and some other old Morris parts) are available
through the UK Morris Register, which (somewhat elitist) prefers pre-war
Morris 8s, grudgingly allows post-war 8s, and DEFINITELY frowns upon Minor
MMs!

Regards

Alex
AJM@MDA.CA