Cleaning blocks,casings etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Cleaning blocks,casings etc.
From: sga1@ukc.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 05 May 94 11:06:33 +0100
I've been following the articles about using phosphoric acid to
clean up rusty parts and on a similar subject I would like to
know what's the best thing for cleaning up blocks and casings
before painting.

I'm going the overhaul the engine and box on my Mini and would
like to paint them before they go back in the car. The engine's
not that greasy but I'd like to remove the old paint first (what
there is of it).  I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can use a
caustic solution, like you might use to unblock a drain, is this
to be recommended?  The head and block are cast iron and the 'box
casing is aluminium.  Do I need to etch prime the 'box casing
before painting?

Any other tips on painting engines would be appreciated.

Steve