TR7 locks & keys

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: TR7 locks & keys
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 17:47:27 -0400
Hello fellow leaky-toppers,

Our TR7 came with one key that fit exactly one lock (guess which).
We recently acquired a complete lock set (with our ignition lock and key
in trade). I was just fiddling with it in the living room (no, the rest of
the car is not there) and discovered the following.

ignition : long key only
trunk, glove box: short key only
door a: long key only
door b: long key or short key

Is there something strange about this? If not, does the following logic
apply? I figure that the long key is the valet key, "You can drive my
car but you can't have the case of Castrol," and the short key is for
sending teenagers to get gramma's birthday present from the glovebox
(you could almost fit gramma in that glovebox) without relying on their
self-control to prevent them from going off to retrieve a CD from Rat's
house. Thus, the door lock that allows both keys to be used should
go on the passenger side, yes?

Jody "at least the English didn't have pneumatic suspension" Levine