Nerfmobiles in Britain?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Nerfmobiles in Britain?
From: "Dan Parslow, x2556" <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 13:14:20 -0700 (MST)
Is this airbag thing strictly a U.S. phenomenon?

One thing I was delighted to notice last fall when I visited the
U.K. was that the L-reg (i.e. brand new) Escort I rented--I mean
hired-- had no automatic belts or airbag, no "fasten belts"
indicator and/or screaming buzzer.  This made me absurdly happy.

Is this lack of compulsory safety stuff the norm for the UK?
And does it reflect a lower accident rate?  Does anyone know the
figures?

Is it possible that they've managed to keep their fatality
rate down by requiring drivers to be _competent_ before issuing
them licences?   That would certainly be cheaper, let alone
safer...

Dan "the most important safety component is the driver" Parslow