Re: Questions for '68 Mk3 Spitfire

Subject: Re: Questions for '68 Mk3 Spitfire
From: Gregory T Fieldson <fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 10:49:32 -0400
Steve Jones asks a couple of questions about Mk3 Spitfires. Having a '67
Mk3 in bits and pieces I will take a flyer at answering these. Not having
an assembled or "concours" Spitfire, I may be wrong.

>1. What year grilles fit?
Any Mk3 spitfire (which is probably obvious) and I believe that the Mk4
used the same grille. I don't know about 1500's. The earlier grilles will
probably fit, but they aren't the same.

>2. Where was the stock mounting location of the cigarette lighter?
Cigerette lighter? Hmm. I'll have to check my dash but I don't recall
seeing one.

>3. Can the front bumper of a Mk2 fit without any major changes?
I don't think the changes are easy, and I doubt that they are minor. I
have one of each (my car started life with a Mk2 bonnet somehow and
replaced with a Mk3 when wrecked). I believe that the bonnet hinges are
different in the Spitfire 4 and Mk2. The bumper is located lower on the
Mk2, and uses a different mounting style.

And Jerry Kaidor tells about clutchless bike riding. My favorite, related
experience is having the transmission linkage fail on the NY state
throughway. It is, indeed, possible to pull away from a toll booth in 5th
gear if necessary. Rt 7 in Troy, NY, however is impossible (without a
running start). Later experience tells me that a Chrysler k-derivative
with a 2.2 l engine only *needs* 3rd gear for use from 0 to 65 mph. (with
gear selection accomplished throught the LHS wheel well!)

Gregory Fieldson                        fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Department of Chemical Engineering  --  The Johns Hopkins University