Tis not so deep as a well...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tis not so deep as a well...
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 22:46:35 +0800
...nor so broad as a church door, but twill suffice, twill do.

Well, now I know what an engine feels like when it blows a hole
in the top of its piston.

Yes, I *do* know that's what's wrong.  I took the head off tonight
and there's a nice 1/4" by 1/8" chunk missing from around the edge
of the #4 piston.  The chunk is sitting on top of that piston now.
There's also a piece of aluminum stuck to the face of the head up
by the #1 cylinder, but I can't figure that out.

The symptom, BTW, is that the engine suddenly started running very
rough and making a hammering noise, then it died.  (In my driveway,
I have to say.  What a car.  Maybe I should call him Phidippides,
after the Greek runner who returned from the battle of Marathon to
tell his countrymen, "Victory is ours!" and then expired on the spot.)

(BTW, that's III, i 94-95 for those of you with a copy of the
whole Canon at your bedside.  What? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, of course.)

--Scott "Me? III, i, 134, natch" Fisher