Paint, sand, etc.

To: bobj@meaddata.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint, sand, etc.
From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 11:52:01 -0500 (CDT)
>Finally, I picked up a cheapie sandblaster last night.
>What kind of sand can you use with these?  Ordinary sandbox sand or
>something more exotic?  If you can't use regular sand, why not?

Bob - the only problem I had with "sandbox" sand was that it was a little
too fine and probably too soft to work very effectively.  I picked up a
100-lb bag of "blasting" sand from a local supplier for 2 bucks.  There are
several grits sizes available, you probably want the finer stuff for a
home-model blaster.  I can't remember the "grit size", but he only had two
choices.  The finer grit was still more coarse than the sandbox variety.
(The coarser stuff has big pebbles in it, used in those industrial blasters
with a 1-in diameter nozzle.)  This is still basically silica sand, which
is cheap but breaks down fast.  You can pay more for blasting media made
from harder minerals.  YMMV.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu           (409) 845-3726         Fax (409) 845-9351