Vintage Insurance

To: (~b-c)
Subject: Vintage Insurance
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 May 1994 8:26 EDT
Dale Cook wrote in the british-cars email list:
>I just spoke with Diane at Candon & Skelly in NJ (1-800-257-9496) about classic
>car insurance.

>Here's what I found out:
>1) The cost (per year) is $1.40 x value (I assume this must be in K?!).

No, it is $1.40 per $100, thus a car with a stated value costs $140.

>2) What you get is coverage to/from shows, parades, maintenance BUT not for
>personal>      pleasure (how do you define that?)

You didn't mention club events, plus there's always that road test
after a maintenance session.  Bottom line seems to be less onerous
than the words appear in that what they most definetly do not want
to happen is for the car to be used on a daily basis, for
commuting, etc.  It doesn't take much effort to justify almost any
evening or weekend drive in terms of a "club activity", going
to a friend's to do maintenance, or as a post maintenance road test.

>3) Vehicle has to be garaged when not driven.

Not an unreasonable requirement, you could rent a garage if
needed to keep that LBC away from the elements.

>4) EVERY driver in the family must have another vehicle for personal use.

I haven't seen that requirement before, at least not in such an
emphatic way.  I don't recall seeing that in any of the classic
insurance ads in places like Hemmings, etc.

>5) You have to have a good driving record.

Again, not an unreasonable requirement and one you'd come up
against when changing insurance on your "everyday" car(s).

>6) (THE KILLER) They can't write liability in some states... she mentioned MA
>and NC!

That's more a problem with the individual state's insurance
laws, etc.

Before ruling out classic insurance coverage altogether, call
the other carriers and see what they offer.  Likewise, check
with your "everyday" carrier (i.e. State Farm, Nationwide, or whoever)
and see if they have a reduced rate coverage for "classic" or
"antique".  I know State Farm has both, but the "definition"
based on the age of the vehicle does vary by state (e.g. in NJ
a classic can be 10 years old, antique 25, while in Michigan
the State Farm classic coverage only is available for cars
15 or more years old).

Good Luck,

Bill Sohl