valve springs, was: re:Mothball Thoughts?

To: (~b-c)
Subject: valve springs, was: re:Mothball Thoughts?
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 13 May 1994 13:15 EDT
The original question asking about long term storage of an engine
appeared only on the tr8 email list, but I'm posting this
follow-up thought/question to both the TR8 list and the b-c
list.

Storing engines or complete cars for long periods of time
always makes me concerned about the valve springs in the
cylinder heads.  I don't want to loosen all the
rocker arms in a car stored over the winter, but I've
always wondered about long term inactivity and the
fact that several valves are obviously in the full open
position when an engine is not running.  Thus, while
stored for long periods several valve springs are
fully compressed during storage.

Anyone have any thoughts on how long that should be allowed
to continue before any permanent weakening of
the spring(s) may happen?

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com