Fan Belt Woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fan Belt Woes
From: fox@imagitex.com (Barry Fox)
Date: Fri, 13 May 94 13:04:46 EDT
I finally have a problem for which I can seek net.wisdom.
Basil (my 65 TR4A) decided he didn't want to keep the old
fan belt any longer, so he decided to disassemble it.  I
saw an advert for newer "cogged" type belts for the TR so
ordered one.  Arrives two days later, ten minute job to
install, so I thought.  I noticed when removing the old
one the clearance 'twixt the fan extension and steering
rack was real close and the old belt just barely fit through.
Well, the new belt did not fit through that gap at all.  The
new belt is .440 thick and the gap is somewhat less.  The
options were; 1) loosen all the zillions of bolts holding the
fan extension on or 2) drop the steering rack.  Both were
not even remotely easy so I created option 3) put a 2x4 on
the pad of the floor jack and gently raised the engine up on
its' mounts to gain that extra clearance required. This scheme
worked quite well, the belt fit through and installation
proceeded to the ten minute assumption.

The question is, is there any other method?  Is my <.440
clearance normal?  Has any one else run into this situation?