Re: Rover panels, Engine Storage

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rover panels, Engine Storage
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@postoffice3.mail.cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 15:47:20
> Scott Fisher writes >
> > The P6 used a space-frame design with alumin(i)um panels forming
> > the exterior.

And Phil

Well, I've got a Magnette- will that do? This is what I said at first:

> with Aluminium bonnet & boot, unboltable body panels...

Phil is quite right. And this car, at all of 31K miles, is rusting through
just about every panel except the boot and bonnet. Fortunatly, this has
yeilded a young 10.5: 1, 184 HP engine for other thoughts. Which brings us to
Bill Sohl's question, based on a storage query of mine, as this engine is
going to be mothballed for a while:

> Storing engines or complete cars for long periods of time
> always makes me concerned about the valve springs in the
> cylinder heads.
> I've always wondered about long term inactivity and the
> fact that several valves are obviously in the full open
> position when an engine is not running.

I've seen recent comments to the effect that this is not a problem, as valve
springs fail more due to fatigue, and constant compression should not hurt
them. (But, I have no engineering data to support this.

More of a problem, is that of moisture circulating in the cylinders with the
open valves. This can lead to rust in the cylinders which have the valves
open, and eventually the rings rust to the cylinder wall. (Classic long term
storage seized engine). Of course, I've revived a certain bulldozer that sat
in a field that way, with rain running down the manifold into the cylinders.
(Now, that's draging up old SOL history, eh?)

Another place to be concerned about moisture in storage, is in the sump and
under rocker covers. Other than fresh oil, I don't know what you could do.

A suggestion I've seen for medium term storage, is to spray oil into the
intakes at shutdown, or remove plugs and spray some in the cylinders
directly, and turn it over by hand from time to time. This will also address
Bills valve spring question. The best storage job I've seen was on the
VagenTune\Lotus Twin Cam engine for my friends March 71B (Which is going to
the engine builders this weekend, btw). It had been taken apart, and the
cylinders, cam, crank, etc. had been coated with grease, and then
reassembled. After 15+ years of sitting, everything wiped off clean and
shiney. (Make sure you use sulpher free grease for this!)

    Maybe I can just dunk the whole engine in a vat of Cosmoline?

      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."