Zen and the art of LBC's

To: @car.dis
Subject: Zen and the art of LBC's
From: cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 09:17:39 EDT
Has everyone seen the article on the TR2 restoration in the latest
Roadster factory bulletin?  Man, what a tear jerker.  I'm not too proud
to say that the last paragraph brought tears to my eyes.
About a decade ago I read a book by Robert Pirsig titled "Zen and the Art
of Motorcycle Maintanence."  I should think many of you have also read it.

The implicit theme is that when Pirsig approaches his bike with a tool
box, he isn't REALLY going to work on his bike, he is going to work on
himself.  Developing a methodical approach to problem solving, keeping
the bike in a fine state of tune, and overcoming the "gumption traps" are
all part of the journey.  The parallels to life are exact.
Maybe for some of us, I can say certainly for me, this is what drives me
towards LBC's.  I've been restoring the roadster for two years and never
had it registered.  Soon, but that is not what it is about for me right now.

That Triumph restoration took over 20 YEARS!  And the original owner died
shortly after its completion, passing the car down to his son.  Wow,
I'm inspired.  I think I'll stay up all night and fix that oil leak on
the push rod cover plate...

-Skip
Cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com        '76 M.G.B
(508) 858-5492 Groton, MA

"Phaedrus, what is right and what is not right, need anyone tell us these
 things?"