Traction Engines [Was: Re: What you mean Daimler's gone!!!! ]

To: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.colorado.edu>
Subject: Traction Engines [Was: Re: What you mean Daimler's gone!!!! ]
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 09:37:54 PDT
In message <9405161614.AA11126@badger.Colorado.EDU> you write:

>On another note, I happened upon a field day for old machinery Saturday.
>It was a meeting of the Front Range (CO) Antique Power Association. [..]
>The coolest item was a 1/2-size replica of a
>steam tractor.  It must have had five control levers, not counting the
>whistle.

When I went to a conference on Jersey (the Channel Island, or "Old" Jersey) I
discovered a museum of old steam tractors and locomotives.  It was
fascinating.  Apparently the roads were quite bad until recently, and the
steam "traction engines" were used to haul farm produce and stuff around the
island as late as WWII.
  We even got to see them fire one up.  Yow! top speed a blistering 4 mph, but
torque to pull redwood stumps![1]

  --berry

[1] If they *had* redwood trees on Jersey, which they don't.